Yangon Central Railway Station is the largest railway station in Myanmar. It is the gateway to the Myanmar Railways’ 5.131-kilometer rail network, whose reach is Upper Myanmar (Naypyidaw, Mandalay, Shwebo), the Highlands (Myitkyina), the Shan Hills (Taunggyi, Kalaw) and the Taninthayi Coast (Mawlamyine, Ye).
The station was first built in 1877 by the British, but destroyed in 1943 by the British, retreating from advancing Japanese troops. The current station, which was designed in the traditional Burmese style with the native, as Pyatthat designated roofs, was completed in 1954. Yangon Railway Station has been a landmark since 1996.
While the railway station of Yangon still plays an important role today, another chapter of the Burmese railway history came to a quick end. From January to June 2016, the 4.8km-long Yangon tram ran with second-hand trams from Hiroshima on a newly built track in the south of the city center.