Nga Phe Kyaung Monastery is located north of Ywama with its craft shops. This nearly 170-year-old monastery stands completely on piles in the water and is the largest and oldest wooden monastery on Inle Lake. It was built in 1850 and can only be reached by boat. It has many ancient Buddha images in different styles from Bagan, Ava, Shan, and Tibet.
The heart of the monastery is a spacious portico. There, the statues are housed in richly decorated shrines or stand on altars with elaborate wood carvings. Here inside the temple, it is cool and dark, only the sparse light of some ceiling lights and the little light that falls through the doors and windows illuminates the sanctuaries.
The monastery bears the funny nickname ‘Monastery of the Jumping Cats’. This is due to the fact that in earlier times the monks here trained the cats to jump through small rings. Today, this is no longer practiced because the acting abbot no longer wishes the demonstrations.