From the station north of the city, taxis or horse-drawn carriages drive visitors into the village. In addition to the colonial history and its tracks, Pin Oo Lwin and its surroundings also offer a variety of natural experiences and a glimpse into rural Burmese life.
British colonel May built a garrison town in the village of Pyin U Lwin after the 3rd British-Burmese War of 1885. It was May town, in Burmese Maymyo. The city has a cool climate due to its location at 1070 meters and was used by the British until the Second World War as a summer residence city. After the military coup of 1988, the city was renamed Pyin U Lwin.
After Burma’s independence, the Army founded the Military Academy Defense Services Academy in Maymyo. Well-known are the English Botanic Garden Kandawgyi, the Clock Tower, also called Purcell Tower and the curious horse-drawn carriages, which are untypical for Myanmar.