Unlike the Bagaya Monastery, the Maha Aung Mye Bonzan Monastery is painted ochre and built of stone, an important reason why the monastery is still well preserved today. But here, too, the earthquake left its mark in 1838, but it was repaired on behalf of King Hsinbyumashin in 1872.
The Maha Aung Mye Bon San Monastery was built in 1818 by the chief wife of King Bagyidaw for her lover, the Abbot U Po. The outer walls are decorated with elaborate stucco ornaments. On the façade, there is also a peacock, which is the symbol of the sun, and a hare, which stands for the moon. Inside the monastery, on the other hand, there is a Buddha statue sitting on a pedestal adorned with glass mosaics. Although the monastery was built of stone, the floor in the interior is teak wood, a reference to all the other wooden built monasteries in Inwa and the surrounding area.
The Mahar Aung Mye Bon San Monastery architecturally resembles the teak monasteries of the 19th century Konbaung dynasty with its multi-level roof. The outer walls, doors, windows, and balustrades of the monastery are richly decorated. A staircase leads to a terrace where you can walk around the monastery.