Inwa is located about 6.5 km southwest of Amarapura or 20 km southwest of Mandalay, at the confluence of the Ayeyarwady with the Mjitnge. The Myittha Canal connects the two rivers on the south side and makes Inwa an island. Inwa, formerly Ava, is the ancient capital of the former kingdom of Ava in upper Burma. Numerous Buddhist temples attract tourists from all over the world.
After the capital Sagaing had been conquered by the Shan, Ava was founded in 1364 and was until 1783 capital of the empire Ava. In 1783 King Bodawpaya moved the capital to Amarapura and forced the resettlement of the population. He largely destroyed Ava. His grandson Bagyidaw returned in 1821 to the convenient located Ava and rebuilt it. In 1841 Ava was almost completely destroyed by a huge earthquake, abandoned in the aftermath and the capital relocated to Amarapura.
Today, there are mainly a few ruins of Ava, the Maha Aung Mye Bau San Monastery and the teak temple Bagaya, which attract tourists to Inwa. But the landscape is beautiful and the agricultural environment is interspersed with pagodas and temples everywhere. During the trip by horse-drawn carriage, you can enjoy the landscape and observe the everyday life of the people.