Wat Chedi Luang is a Buddhist temple complex in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand. It is located in the center of Chiang Mai on an area that originally housed three temples: Wat Chedi Luang, Wat Ho Tham, and Wat Sukmin. Wat Chedi Luang was started in the 14th century but was still unfinished after 10 years of construction. The widow of King Saen Mueang Ma continued the construction, but it was not until the middle of the 15th century that King Tilokaratcha completed the complex.
In 1468, the Emerald Buddha was placed in the east-facing niche. After an earthquake in 1545, the structure of the top 30 meters collapsed. Shortly thereafter, in 1551, the Emerald Buddha was brought to Luang Prabang, Northern Laos. In the early 1990s, the Chedi was reconstructed with the help of UNESCO and the Government of Japan.
Despite the controversial rrconstruction, Wat Chedi Luang is one of the most important and most visited Wats in the city, not only because of its central location in the “Rose of the North”.