The Great Mosque was founded during the reign of Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty. A large number of the Hui Muslim minority immigrated to Inner Mongolia from Xinjiang, Ningxia, and Shannxi. The Great Mosque is the earliest and largest mosque in Hohhot, the capital of the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China. It was built in 1693 and renovated in 1789 and 1923. Today, it covers an area of 4000 square meters.
The mosque is a mix of Chinese and Arabic architecture. Chinese mosques during the Qing Dynasty had minarets that were a compromise between a pure Islamic minaret and a Chinese pagoda. In addition, Chinese mosques of that time had steles or tablets that reminded Muslim believers of their inescapable fidelity to the emperor.
The Great Mosque of Hohhot has only one minaret, which by the way was not part of the original design, but added later. Of the buildings, all of which are built of black brick, the grandest is the Great Prayer Hall, behind which lie both the Teaching Hall and the Muslim Baths. All buildings have Muslim characters. Noteworthy are the more than 30 volumes of old Koran scripts, all written in Arabic. It is also possible to climb the 15 meter high hexagonal minaret topped with a pagoda roof to have a nice view of the city.