Zojoji Temple is the main temple of the Jodo sect of Japanese Buddhism in the Kanto region. The temple located next to the Tokyo Tower consists of imposing buildings, as well as a Mausoleum of the Tokugawa family and a small museum. The founder of Zojo -ji was Yuyo Shoso. The temple was originally built in 1393 and relocated to its present location by Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1598, who chose it as his family temple. The mausoleum of the family is located at the back of the complex and contains the tombs of six Tokugawa Shogun.
Most of today’s Zojoji buildings are recent reconstructions, with the exception of the main entrance gate, the Sangedatsumon, which has survived many fires, earthquakes, and wars and dates back to 1622. There are Jizu statues everywhere and in large numbers, small, colorfully decorated stone dolls found in many other temples in Japan. Jizo is a monk who accompanies the souls on their way to the underworld. Legend tells how he descends to hell and saves the sinners. Therefore, most Jizo statues can be found in cemeteries.