The conspicuous construction of the Elbphilharmonie can be seen far across the harbor. Situated in the HafenCity, it contrasts with the old brick buildings of the Speicherstadt, of which you have a magnificent bird’s-eye view from the visitor’s terrace. The concert hall was completed in 2016. The concept is based on an idea by the Hamburg architect Alexander Gérard. The Elbphilharmonie was planned with the aim of creating a new landmark of Hamburg and a “cultural monument for all.”
The Elbphilharmonie stands on the former ‘Kaiserhöft.’ On this quayside between Sandtorhafen and Grasbrookhafen, the water planning director Johannes Dalmann built the Kaiserspeicher at Kaiserkai in 1875. In the Second World War, the main building was heavily damaged, only the tower remained intact.
Between 1963 and 1966, the new Kaispeicher A was built according to designs by Werner Kallmorgen. The building served as a storage for cocoa, tobacco, and tea, but lost its original use by shifting the general cargo trade to other parts of the port. It ended in 1990 altogether.