Southwest of Sanssouci Palace is the small, classical-style Charlottenhof Palace. It forms the architectural center of a garden that extended Sanssouci Park from 1826 onwards. Charlottenhof Palace was the summer residence of Crown Prince Frederick William.
The Crown Prince and later King Frederick William IV had received the baroque mansion from his father as a Christmas present in 1825. He commissioned the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel and the garden designer Peter Joseph Lenné to reshape the property. The highlight of her work came into being: a total artwork of architecture and landscape.