Located on the Precious Stone Hill in the north of the West Lake, the Baochu Pagoda is also known as the “Baoshu”, “Baosuo” or the “Precious Stone Pagoda”. It reflects the Leifeng Pagoda in the south of the lake. The Baochu Pagoda is often compared with a sleek beauty, while the Leifeng Pagoda is an ancient monk. They are landmarks and famous sights along the West Lake. Also, ‘Precious Stone Hill Floating in Rosy Clouds’ is listed as one of the 10 scenes of the West Lake.
The Baochu Pagoda was built during the Kaibao Period (968-976) in the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127). At this time, Qian Chu, King of the Wuyue Kingdom, was invited by the Empress, Zhao Kuangyin, to the capital of Bianjing (now Kaifeng). However, he did not return for a long time. In concern for him, his uncle Wu Yanshuang built the nine-storey tower to pray for his safety.
The tower was rebuilt six times in history. The existing seven-storey tower was built in 1932. The present pagoda has a hexagonal structure with seven floors and is about thirty meters high. The Baochu Pagoda was placed under state protection in May 2013 as an important historical and cultural relic.
Good to know:
Opening Hours: all day