Tunxi is a city district in the district-free town of Huangshan in Anhui Province. It has an area of 249 km² and has a population of around 150,000.
It comes from the Song Dynasty (960-1279), with centuries-old history. Emperor Huizong (1082-1135) moved his government to Lin’an (now Hangzhou). He needed many architects and workers to build the new capital. After returning to their hometown, they mimicked the architectural style so that the Old Street was formed. At the beginning of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), a trader in Anhui invested money in building 47 stores to attract business people to communicate with the outside world. The area gradually became a distribution center for materials in and from Anhui in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).
Along the road, there are many shops, which existed for over a hundred years. Curiosities and knick-knacks including inkstones, brushes, local teas and Mao badges can be found.