Tamsui, often also Tanshui or Tamshui, is a district of the city of New Taipeh in northern Taiwan with around 140,000 inhabitants. The village, formerly known as Hùweǐ or Hobe, lies northwest of Taipeh, at the mouth of the Tamsui River, on Formosastraße.
From 1629 to 1641 Tamsui was occupied by the Spaniards. Built in 1629, Fort San Domingo is still one of the city’s sights. After the expulsion of the Spaniards, the port was a few years under the rule of the Dutch or the Dutch East India Company. According to the contract of Tianjin in 1860, the Chinese government opened the port for foreign trade. Exported were mainly tea, camphor, sulfur, and coal. Business companies from many western countries settled in Tamsui.
In the middle of the 19th century, Tamsui was the most important port in Taiwan, but the importance of the place as a port was reduced in the 20th century as a result of heavy landings, and Keelung took over the role of the most important harbor in the north.
Good to know:
Opening Hours: depending on the exhibition
Website: www.tshs.ntpc.gov.tw (Chinese/English)