The Sandiaojiao Lighthouse, located at the eastern tip of Taiwan, is a famous sign on the Pacific Ocean. Known as the “Eye of Taiwan”, it was built by the Japanese in 1935, with imported crystal lights. The lighthouse was damaged during the Second World War and was only renovated in 1946. But some of the signs of war were kept to commemorate the story.
The lighthouse is 16.5 meters high and projects white and red lights twice every 28 seconds with a distance of 25 nautical miles. Inside the lighthouse, there is some old object to examine and explanatory texts on the equipment and functions of the tower. This is also the only, publicly accessible lighthouse in northern Taiwan.