Once the Tait & Company warehouse more than a century ago, the Anping Tree House is today a favorite landmark in Tainan, where the huge banyan trees took over the abandoned building after years of neglect.
After the defeat of China in the Second Opium War of 1867, the Qing government had to open the Anping port for foreigners, and the Scottish trader James Tait was one of the first to found a merchant house in Anping. The Tait & Company was the largest merchant’s house of his time.
During the Japanese colonial period, the trade of camphor and opium became a government business, forcing the foreign merchants to leave Taiwan – the Tait & Company was no exception. In 1911, the Tait & Company building became an office and warehouse for the Japan Salt Company. After the Second World War, it became the office of Tainan Salt Works.
In 1981 an extensive renovation was carried out to update the historic building, while the renovation of the neighboring tree house was suspended for safety reasons. By 2004, the local government invited designers to build wooden and metal stairs as well as lookout platforms, which allow visitors to walk through the trees and see the structure from above.
Good to know:
Opening Hours: daily 8:30 – 17:30
Admission: 50 NT$ incl. Tait&Co. Merchant House