The West Lake is undoubtedly the most famous sight in Hangzhou. The West Lake is made of people and was created by the Chinese love for gardens for recreation. There are numerous sights around the shore.
Over 2,000 years ago, the West Lake was still part of the Qiantang River. Due to the soil sedimentation of the feet of the Wu Mountain and Baoshi Mountain, the surrounding mountains on the northern and southern sides of the lake, gradually formed heads. Later, these sand spies gradually merged into a bank, through which a lagoon appeared in the west. This was the old West Lake of the Qing and Han dynasties.
Today, the lake has a diameter of about 3 km and a circumference of 15 km. There are three dams or bridges across the lake. As well as the three artificial islands called San Tang Yin Yue, Huxin Ting and Ruan Dunhuanbi (Ruans Hill, according to the governor of Zhejiang in the year 1800).
In the north, the Broken Bridge and the Leaning House are worth mentioning, and the Leifeng Pagoda is particularly noteworthy in the south of the lake, but the eastern shore also has some pleasant sceneries and temples. Since 2011, the West Lake has been on the UNESCO list.