Miltenberg is the district town of the district of the same name in the Regierungsbezirk Unterfranken and has belonged since 1816 to Bavaria. The historic Miltenberg is on the left of the left knee of the Mainviereck between Spessart and Odenwald. Since in the Miltenberg area the Bed of the Main is relatively close to the foot of the Odenwald, there is only a narrow strip of suitable area on the left side of the Main, which has been washed over the past centuries by the Mainhochwasser. The old town, which is located there, suffered considerable damage due to this flood.
Points of interest in Mildenburg are the museum, the historic old town, the “Schnatterloch” at the historic market square, and the hotel ‘Zum Riesen’. The hotel is also one of the oldest, or possibly the oldest guest house in Germany. Furthermore, the old town hall, the Würzburg, and the Mainz Gate as well as the evangelical Johanneskirche. Near the Mainzer Tor is the Laurentiuskapelle with the adjoining Laurentiusfriedhof.