The Great Market Hall, officially the Central Market Hall in Hungary’s capital Budapest was built from 1894 to 1897 according to plans by Samuel Petz. It is located in IX. Close to the Freedom Bridge and the Corvinus Economic University.
The basilica-like building with an elongated house and two transepts is based on a steel structure, which is lined with colorful, glazed bricks of the Zsolnay porcelain factory. At the corners of the building stand large, massive towers.
Until 1932, the market square was the largest and most important market square in Budapest. Even today the hall is one of the city’s central shopping areas and is visited by local people and tourists alike. In the case of Budapest guests, however, the Rakoczi Market Hall is considered an insider tip.