Northwest of the cathedral is the flag on the reunification palace, a whitewashed concrete building. The building is located on the site of the former Norodom Palace, a colonial villa dating back to 1871, which once served as Governor-General of Indochina.
With the withdrawal of the French in 1954, Ngo Dinh made the extravagant building to his presidential palace, but after the building had suffered a serious attempt in February 1962 with two attempted assassination attempts by two breakaway South Vietnamese pilots, it was demolished.
After its completion in 1966, the present building was the first to be the Independence Palace, only to be renamed the Reunification Hall after the conquest of the South in 1975. The interior is from the 1960s and 1970s.