The center of Havana (Spanish: Centro Habana) covers an area of 3.42 km² and extends west of Prado, along with the Malecón to Vedado. With the beginning of the colonization from the 16th century, there were already some settlements in the area of today’s center, but it was in the middle of the 18th century that economic liberalization during the British occupation became more important.
The district of Vedado is the modern center of Havana. It is now under the administrative unit Plaza de la Revolucion and covers an area of 12.26 km². It is younger than Centro Habana; the first houses were built here starting from 1860. The flowering of Vedado began in the 1920s and lasted until the 1950s. The architectural style is determined more strongly than in other parts of Art Deco elements.