The Yuyuan, also Yu Garden, in Shanghai is considered one of the most beautiful examples of gardening in China. He was built in 1559 by Pan Yunduan, a high official of the Ming Dynasty, as a private garden for his father in a plot of two acres.
During the first Opium War, the Taiping insurrection and during the second Japanese-Chinese war, the parking facilities were damaged. At the end of the 1950s, the garden was renovated and the park opened to the public in 1961. The garden has been on the list of monuments of the People’s Republic of China since 1982.
The garden offers some architectural features and is divided into six parts according to the Suzhou style. Each of these six parts is separated from the others by dragon walls with gray bricks ending in a dragon head.