The Ta’er Monastery, also known as Kumbum, is a Tibetan-Buddhist monastery from the Ming Dynasty (1560). It is considered one of the six great monasteries of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism.
The Monastery is a mixture of Tibetan and Han Chinese architecture. During his visit, the eight white pagodas, which were erected in 1776, are the first to be noticed.
Translated, the name of the monastery means ‘Monastery of Hundreds of Pictures’, which refers to the legend of its origin. The monastery was built in the birthplace of Tsongkhapa, the founder of the Gelug school. When, after his birth, the umbilical cord was severed, a drop of blood fell on the earth, from which immediately a sandalwood tree grew with 100,000 leaves, which the tree never lost. On every leaf was a picture of the Buddha Sinhanada. The monastery’s buildings were built around this tree.
Gegen Himmel – To the sky, Qinghai, China
Farbenfroher Torbogen – Colorful doorway, Qinghai, China
Tempelmauern – Temple walls, Qingahi, China
Die bunten Wohnungen der Mönche – The colorful homes of the monks, Qinghai, China
Gebetsmühlen – Prayer wheels, Qinghai, China
Öfen für die Wünsche – Stoves for the wishes, Qinghai, China
Verblassende Schönheit – Fading beauty, Qinghai, China
Im Innenhof – In the Courtyard, Qinghai, China
Die goldene Spitze – The golden tip, Qinghai, China
Stupa im Grünen – Stupa in the green, Qinghai, China