The Chenghuang Temple is located on West Avenue in downtown Xi’an. It is the largest city god temple in Shaanxi province. It was built in 1387 during the reign of Emperor Hongwu in the Ming Dynasty. Its original location was at the eastern gate of the City Wall, but from 1432 it was moved from the Ming emperor Xuande to its present location.
Today, the Xian City God Temple consists of the gateway, the pavilion of the god of literature and the gate of etiquette. As well as the hall of the year of birth, the ancestral hall of loyalty and piety, the music and dance hall, the fire hall, the sky hall and the hall of the city god.