The Drepung Monastery is one of the most important monasteries of the Gelug Order and was once the largest religious city in the world. The monastery was founded in 1416 by Jamyang Choje, a leading student of Tsongkhapas. It is located about 10 kilometers west of Lhasa.
During the so-called cultural revolution, the monastery, like the nearby Sera Monastery, was hardly destroyed. The main attraction of Drepung is the Tsokchen General Assembly Hall, which is impressive by its size alone.
It is called Drepung as a mother monastery since from there the first Dalai Lama reigned. In the early 17th century, the monastery temporarily housed between 7,000 and 10,000 monks, now only up to 600.