Located on Marco Polo Square in the Hebei district, is the Italian Quarter. It is one of the tourist hotspots of Tianjin in an Italian style. It used to be the only settlement outside Italy. Today it is an original preserved large settlement of Italian-style buildings in Asia.
The Italian quarter was the earlier Italian concession in the city. It was built in 1902. On June 7, 1902, Mr. Tong Zhaoyi signed the ‘Tianjin Italian National Concession Contract’ with the Tianjin Customs and a new Italian minister.
In 2002, protection and renovation work began in the Italian quarter. In 2005 these were completed, and in 2008 the area was made accessible to the public. Today, it is a distinctive and attractive place in the city.